Sunday, October 24, 2010

Turtle Bangs... umm pretty much mind blowing


Tonight started VERY QUESTIONABLY. Khrys, Mike and I searched the streets of Murfreesboro for something to do, anything to do. Epic fails after epic fails after epic fails began to diminish our desire and determination to find a fun free party to kick it at. We had gotten so desperate that we began to consider the Gorilla Thriller (nothing against the Alphas or their party, I just didn’t have the money for a ticket, the patience for a line, or the will power for the sea of judgment that usually waves through these kind of parties) when all of a sudden I got a couple text messages back to back, one stating that the Gorilla Thrilla had been shut down (don’t know if that’s true or not) one stating that there was a set in Campus Crossing north (an apartment very near to campus) and the last talking about a party on Ewing St… as we weighed our options, it became obvious that are best bet was the party on Ewing. So we made up our minds and began to make a move that way. Before we turned the corner we saw cars lined for days on both sides. There was a mob growing outside of the house, and at first I couldn’t decide if that was a good thing or not, but as I walked toward the large intimidating crowd my fears and suspicions began to melt away. Immediately I saw familiar faces and felt a warm vibe/spirit over the entire event. People with different colored hair, people with different tattoos, people sweats on, people dressed to impress, people doing and wearing whatever made them feel free without even the slightest worry of being judged or frowned upon.
look em up and get a t-shirt!
            I spotted a few people in the crowd immediately and took a sec to warm up and feel around the crowd, when all of a sudden one of the most amazing people in the world, JOHN ZEMAN, comes up to me and we share a thing of JOOSE (if you don’t know what it is look it up and try it, uhm AMAZING lol) and he tells me about the activities going on within the house. He tells me there is a band playing inside, and until then I hadn’t even noticed the thumping bass coming from the basement of the old house. I tried to maintain a bit more conversation but the beat was slowly bringing me in. I could hear people cheering, I could smell sweat, and I could feel the energy. As I took a deep breath I stepped into the overcrowded basement of whoever’s home we were in and quickly figured out exactly why these people were cheering at the top of their lungs and dancing and jumping like their very souls depended on it. A band called Turtle Bangs was performing. Song after song the crowd got bigger, danced harder, and screamed louder, and for good reason. The originality and spontaneity of Greg Stephen and Casey Carter (the members of Turtle Bangs) kept the crowd wanting more and more. As Greg sang louder and louder the audience had no choice but to raise their volume with him. People were moshing, fist pumping, and singing along like there was no tomorrow. As I stood on top of a couch I tried my best to record what I could with little success, a camera phone simply would do no justice for this revolutionary sound! So I quickly put my phone away and just began to enjoy the music for what it was; raw, new, and impossible to record! As I got into the music I realized I no longer was surrounded by my posse for the night (Khrys and Mike) and in a nervous hurry I began to scan the crowd when I spotted a huge afro (Khrys) slamming around in a sea of music loving moshers and to my right was mike standing next to the door with his cool face unavoidably bobbing his head to the band, once it became obvious I was not the only one having an amazing time another set of worries quickly melted away and were replaced by a new boost of energy and excitement. I could feel the drummer, Casey Carter’s bass drum vibrate the walls, windows, and souls and I began to bob my head even harder and mosh with myself in excitement (because I am afraid of the bruises that come with moshing as a group). But like all good things, they must come to an end. Turtle Bangs began to edge closer to their conclusion… all too soon for my liking and I wasn’t ready to let this hardcore fantasy of reality go, so I stayed perched on the couch trying to fight the inevitable end to a great set. Eventually my stubbornness payed off and I got to meet the two band members and was pleasantly surprised by their warm spirits and humbleness! Ugh I am up at 5:18 in the morning to write about this band not because this is just something I love to do, but because this is something I had to do!!! I tried to lay down once I got home but the energy of the show left me buzzed and excited so I skipped the bed and headed straight for the computer so that I could get this off my chest. And  I need to leave you with this, if you EVER get a chance to catch a live performance of Turtle Bangs please don’t miss it, for your own sake!!! Well I love you and perhaps it is time for me to get off my soap box, so goodnight/morning/afternoon and be safe!!!
-Victoria Jones @lizabvintro

No comments:

Post a Comment